In 2017, Corbel Stone Press will publish a series of small, limited
edition pamphlets that explore our relationship with the natural world.
For the fourth pamphlet in the series, to be published in April 2017, we are seeking the finest contemporary poetry on the theme of nature and sentience
.“We, the rustling leaves, have a voice that answers the storms, but who are you so silent?”
“I am a mere flower.”(Rabindranath Tagore)
“The absence of a neocortex does not appear to preclude an organism from experiencing affective states. Convergent evidence indicates that non-human animals have the neuroanatomical, neurochemical, and neurophysiological substrates of conscious states along with the capacity to exhibit intentional behaviors. Consequently, the weight of evidence indicates that humans are not unique in possessing the neurological substrates that generate consciousness. Nonhuman animals, including all mammals and birds, and many other creatures, including octopuses, also possess these neurological substrates.”(The Cambridge Declaration on Consciousness)
We are interested in work that not only embraces current scientific thinking on non-human consciousness, but extends these concepts to include plant and mineral alterity. Consequently, we are particularly interested in work written from the perspective of the other.
Please ensure that nature
are central to the work you submit, or we will not be able to consider it for inclusion. Please also familiarise yourself with the kind of work we publish - there are three previous pamphlets in this series, available from Corbel Stone Press
, as well as our annual journal, Reliquiae
We are not
interested in witty, humorous, confessional or anecdotal writing. We are also not
interested in work that references pop culture.
interested in work that experiments with form and language.
1. We are looking for new, previously unpublished poetry written primarily in the English language.
2. Due to the small format and page count of each pamphlet, we are ideally looking for relatively short works (i.e. 25 lines or less).
3. All written work will be set in the same typeface. Please use 12pt Times New Roman in your submission.
4. For visual poetry / asemic writing, please send a low resolution jpeg in the first instance.
5. We do not accept simultaneous submissions.
6. Please submit a maximum of five poems.
7. Each pamphlet will be published in a limited edition of 100 copies, and each contributor will receive three complimentary copies.
For enquiries, please contact: corbelstonepress [at] yahoo.co.uk
*Submit your work below: